Mark
Profilo in Equilibrio Gravitazionale
Italy, 1999
Angelo Mangiarotti

Corten steel
15½ × 1¼ × 7¼”


For Angelo Mangiarotti sculpture is a coherent but diversified part of his overall research on design and construction. His particular sculptures, designed for some monuments, put in squares and public space, reveal a pursuit of dynamic relationship, in the tension between energy, matter and space, in the dualism and interaction between interior and exterior, void and solid, in an always active condition that avoids renunciation of the rationality of our culture, but counters its axiomatic lack of verifiability with greater attention to the oriental world. His works are unique pieces in which the form is intended as the result of operations that are based on, and in part derive from, the attributes of the material. —Studio Mangiarotti


Italian architect and designer Angelo Mangiarotti (1921-2012) was known for applying a personal and humanistic approach to functional design. Born in Milan in 1921, he earned a degree in architecture from Milan Politecnico in 1948. Mangiarotti was fascinated by the methods and techniques employed in city-planning and architecture in addition to a passion for beauty and design. In 1953, while serving as a guest lecturer at the Institute of Design at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago he made connections to Mies van der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Walter Gropius.

Mangiarotti returned to Italy in 1955 establishing a firm with Bruno Morasutti, later opening his own firm in 1960. His inventive nature and craftsmanship was employed in numerous projects from marble bowls and glass collections for Knoll to urban planning and industrial design projects. In 1989, he established the Mangiarotti & Associates Office based in Tokyo, Japan. A highly regarded designer, Mangiarotti was presented with the Domus Formica award in 1956, the American Industrial Partners award for industrial construction works in 1972, the gold medal in architecture by the Accademia della Torre of Carrara in 1998, and a dedicated exhibition held at Calenzano's Design Museum in May 2010. —Wright





(Photo: Wright)